A month later than planned, but finally on my first journey in the van.
So far just a short testing trip in the Czech Republic. We’re testing the van, the van is testing us.
Should I be unsatisfied about any minor previous issues? Fixing the van took half a year? Exploded garage? Brought the van for cleaning, took it back with a broken transmission?
Nah, let’s leave the past where it belongs. Let’s move to the current adventures.
Some tips to enjoy Your first ride more (aka don’t repeat my mistakes):
- Before parking, check if there’s a place for toilet stuff. First night we parked in a place near the lake on one side and high grass on the other. Guess what! In the morning we had to abandon the place and rush to the gas station.
- Gas cooking outside with strong wind doesn’t work. We tried to cook spaghetti for one hour with no success…
- Before putting some sauce on the spaghetti (yes, the same ones), taste it. Maybe plain spaghetti will taste better than some random sauce you found in a shop.
- Don’t try to save water by making green tea from water where (you guessed it) spaghetti were boiled (haven’t tried other tea flavors though).
- When parking for sleeping, don’t park on slopes.
- Strong wind = no mosquitos and perfect ventilation with only a little cracked windows.
- Having one big mattress all over the VW T4 is a nightmare. Bought two 60cm width foldable ones: it saved my back, mental state and the relationship.
- Properly clean the van, check all the places. It’s better to encounter mold, chemicals, leaks and whatnot before the trip than during it.
- Actually, fixing any problem before the trip is easier. Make Your future easier. Do at least one test sleepover ride (the more the better.)
What about Your first ride? Any adventures? ;)